Monday, September 21, 2009

Please Welcome...

I'm still taking a little breather, but please welcome Ada-Marie from Spark! She does a fantastic series titled "Buy This, Not That!" where she finds great alternatives to stylish, but pricey looks. I'm delighted she agreed to guest post here at MLHP, and will certainly have to consider her ideas for Avery's Big Girl room!

I feel so lucky to guest blog at My Little Happy Place – one of my very favorite blogs! While Alison is Stateside enjoying time with her family and friends, she probably has had little time to focus on Avery’s big girl room. She is thinking about a navy blue and hot pink color scheme (you can read about her ideas here, here and here).

Alison scored this perfect Pottery Barn Kids bedding on Ebay for Avery’s room:
And she is in the process of painting this great headboard a midnight blue (she is still on the hunt for the perfect paint):
One of the recurring features on spark! is the “Buy This, Not That” series. So, I thought I would do a “Buy This, Not That” featuring accessories that could round out Avery’s room and hopefully provide some inspiration for Alison and her readers! Enjoy!

I thought that the pillows on Avery’s bed or scattered around the room should pick up the blue in the headboard and also have a touch of pink….

LOVE THIS?
[Serena and Lily South Seas Navy Pillow, Layla Grace, $88]

BUY THIS!
[Twilight Safi Pillow, Bliss Living, $75]

I know that Alison loves monogrammed items and I think a monogrammed shade is so unique and feminine….

LOVE THIS?
[9" Square Lamp Shade with Pink Satin Trim, Layla Grace, $92]

BUY THIS!
[14" Monogrammed Lamp Shade, Shades of Light, $59]
*MLHP here saying this could also be an amazingly-simple DIY project - dontch'a think? ;)

Alison adores Jonathan Adler and the shape of these mirrors really complements the shape of the headboard….

LOVE THIS?
[Queen Anne Mirror, Jonathan Adler, $595]

BUY THIS!
[Elise Frameless Mirror, Pottery Barn, $189]

Because the bedding is colorful and busy, I thought a soft and neutral rug would look just right….

LOVE THIS?

[Damask Dhurrie Rug, Ballard Designs, $799 for 8x10]

BUY THIS!
[Trellis Rug, Pottery Barn Kids, $599 for 8x10]

Adler again! I love these clean-looking and whimsical lamps that do not scream “kids room”….

LOVE THIS?
[Horse Lamp, Jonathan Adler, $495]

BUY THIS!
[Ceramic Animal Lamp Bases, Pottery Barn Kids, $59]

Just like you all, I cannot wait to see Avery’s big girl room after Alison and her amazing eye has completed the job. Thanks again to Alison for asking me to host at her Little Happy Place!

xxooxxoo, Ada-Marie

13 comments:

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Cute post!!!Cindy Crawford = We have the same last names...not the same bods though ! RATS!!! xoxo~Kathy @
Sweet Up-North Mornings...

Jill GG said...

All of these would look so great in the room! I love how the second pillow is named "Twilight" - he he!

deliciously organized said...

thank you for introducing me to her blog! what a great series!

LindsB said...

These would be such great additions to Averys room- I love the lamps- they are so cute!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic post. I do love high-end items, but not really having that budget it's great when you can find a similar, alternative solution. I hope you're enjoying your siesta abroad, Alison!

Chic Coles said...

Great post! I love seeing the less expensive version of things, especially when I can picture them in a room. Thanks so much!

Haven and Home said...

Love the buy this not that!

Paula Grace Designs said...

Great finds! It is amazing if one creates a design and searches for the pieces to fit the budget. I do it all the time ~ you can really have a beautiful space with his approach!

Averill said...

Adorable post! I love the pink/navy color scheme and I think some of your choices are so spot-on!

(And yes Alison, that monogrammed lampshade WOULD be a great and easy DIY project.)

One of my Hobby Blogs said...

wow what a gorgeous little girls room, I just love the headboard - I think I may do that for my girl in a few years... Love your blog!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Love all of it! Can't wait to see what Alison decides to do!!

Maureen Stevens said...

how cool!to get a cheaper & still chic alternative is always sweet!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Loved the mirror!...actually both of them...

Your headboard is very much what mine looked like before it became my Bellamere Cottage sign!

Blessings,
Spencer