Friday, May 29, 2009

An Industrial Chic Lament

I know, I know...everybody and their pooch has blogged about the "it" style of Industrial Chic. I hate to beat a dead design horse, but all the cool images of rustic, metal and a bit rough-around-the-edges furniture has put me in a wistful mood...

A few months back, Ben's family was sorting through the estate of his recently-deceased grandparents. Besides the obvious sadness that comes along with such a task, there's also a lot of sentimental AND logistical debate - Should we keep this? Does anyone have a particular fondness for this? Do we have room for this? Are we being cruel to the memory of our loved ones if we part with this? It was grueling work - physically and mentally - to sort through a lifetime.
One of the things Ben really hoped to keep was a pair of his Grandfather's work stools. They were worn, and dusty, and had been a part of his Grandfather's tool, tinkering, and repair area. They were fantastic. Alas, Ben's uncle also desired the stools - and rather than split them up, Ben relinquished his bid on them. So long awesome stools. At least they remained in the family...
Needless to say, whenever I show Ben pics of killer "industrial chic" stools, he laments his decision...but that's him - selfless - just like his Grandfather.... As for me, I can do without amazing old stools so long as I get to keep my great guy (but that won't keep me from oohing and aahing whenever I see them!) Here's some cool IC looks for ya!

My fave is the rustic+glam combo


Whenever there's vintage, french cafe chairs in play, I sit up and take notice!PB has bought the license for the original, Trolix design ... at $225 a pop, I think I'll stick to vintage originals...

This guy's the Real Deal, from Marsh Garden Decor
Also, if you're in the market for some SERIOUSLY authentic Industrial goodies, be sure to check out Get Back Inc.

I think I could work here...
via apartment therapy
You don't have to forgo casual-beachy for this look...
via Country Living
RH goes industrial chic: The Refined Version
I'm eyeballin' this bookshelf big time - really wanting something for our book storage that doesn't feel hulking, but also isn't too dainty - THIS would work in a heartbeat!
via latrunkshow

14 comments:

I ♥ You said...

they are all so pretty! ok, and not to let you down - but that last book case was recalled by wisteria - a move that left me in near tears when i called to order it. apparently it was too narrow and tipped over a lot. isn't it a shame? it is so pretty!!!

Averill said...

Very cool. You know it's become a big trend when RH and PB start turning out versions!

And I know what you mean about sorting through loved ones' things...it's a very bittersweet task, full of almost too many memories.

Beth Connolly said...

I like the way you show this look in a variety of settings-not just the hip modern urban loft. That Wisteria bookcase was great-what a shame!

bluehydrangea said...

That first kitchen picture is going in my "some day" kitchen file. Maybe your husband's uncle will read this post and give you the stools...maybe.

alison giese Interiors said...

BlueHygrangea - Too funny! That's just what He said! ;)

LindsB said...

I love the french metal chairs- I have 6 of them in my kitchen and they are my favorite! Paired with my grandparents old wood farm table its the perfect mix!

FEDERICA said...

Beautiful pics!
Those colorful chairs are fantastic!

jgarza said...

Love all of the pieces on wheels. :) I've always been drawn to that look....great post! Hope you're having a GREAT vaca with family!

MFAMB said...

im a fan.

Maureen Stevens said...

as long as the metalpiece has curves,i love it, in that way they don't look cold, Restoration Hardware's pieces are wonderful!

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

The stools in the first picture ROCK! Can't you just imagine sitting there with a big bowl of vanilla bean ice cream? Ahhhh...

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Great inspiration. I love the way some people can add this industrial look to an existing traditional look, and it turns out great! When I've tried it, it seems to stick out like an elephant in the room. I feel for you and your husband in the sorting through a relatives lifetime of treasures. We've suffered through that several times, and there just doesn't seem to be an easy way to do it. laurie

jae said...

hello. i arrived via inside the loop and i have to say i wish i knew about you sooner. sure looks like there is some great inspiration going on here. loved the post showing blog designer's interiors! i had to comment on this post though in case your husband's uncle reads this. his act of selflessness deserves rewarded....with stools perhaps?!

JMW said...

I love that kitchen in the first pic - a wonderful combination of traditional and modern. The light fixture is amazing, as are the built-in cabinets.