Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Catching Up

Can I just say that MLHP readers are Da Bomb (does anybody say "da bomb," anymore?) I don't care; all I know is that Y'all are the sweetest, most warm-hearted, and Real Life style-minded people I've never met! ;) Your comments to Friday's post kept me grinnin' all weekend, and I truly appreciate each and every one of them.

O-Kaaay! Whew! - Did ya'll have a fun, holiday weekend? Hope so - Cheers to (North American) Summer!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
So, I never had the chance to tell ya'll the story of our recent Brazilian Garage Sale....Actually, it wasn't ours - another American family was hosting one, and they let us throw some of our excess stuff in...Let's just say it was INTERESTING! First, let me give you a bit of background info: Very few imported products are allowed into Brazil. Because of this, items made outside of Brazil are rare, and extremely expensive. Consequently, Americans have found that we can sell our gently-used items for about what we paid for them, and it is STILL a better price than the Brazilians can get. Win-Win, right?

So...we hired this woman who works as a Garage Sale Coordinator - she sends out private invitations to "clients," brings in security to monitor the sale, and tells us if our pricing is appropriate. Apparently, this woman is a Must Have if you intend for any Brazilians to actually show up and buy anything.
It kills me that I didn't take my camera so I'd have proof of this tale - but trust me, it happened!
Among other things, we sold a bed, a bookshelf, a lawnmower, strollers and carseats - in each case either breaking even, or earning a profit (nuts, I know!)
I was feeling pretty savvy - until I saw people walking out of the house with opened, half-full bottles of booze - with "Sold" signs on them! I think I've just about seen it all...
So, I've been itching for this lens for my SLR for some time...If you follow Darby or Erika, and have admired their pics, you'll understand why...
I had in mind that I'd treat myself to the lens if the results of the Sale worked out...and they DID, so....

I was told I'd go crazy over it , AND with the quality of the shots - crisp, rich, and full of life...even in low-light with
very busy subjects
I couldn't be more pleased! What are you saving up for?

16 comments:

Jill GG said...

Yeah for garage sales! (wow, security and everything... I am so impressed!)

Any who, I am saving up for a new MacBook so I can be a "portable" blogger... someday - and hopefully soon (sigh)!

Darby said...

Yay for you... you deserved it! It's the BOMB! :)

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Wow...that is some serious garage sailing! I hate having them mostly because you put a quarter on something and someone talks you down to a dime. Your kinda sale I could do...In a heartbeat!

The lens looks great...Is it good for room shots? My lens is to tight, can never get the whole shebang!

Haven and Home said...

This post made me laugh, especially the garage pro! Those pictures look great. I don't have an SLR but I would like one day, I am still trying to learn how to use the one I have!

MFAMB said...

congrats! great pics. i am so jealous. i haven't posted pics of my own house yet due to the worlds worst camera.

alison giese Interiors said...

ms. less: You and me both!

Linda: Not sure on the wide-out shots, full-room shots, I haven't gotten that far with the lens. It's not marketed as a wide-angle lens, but I'll let ya know!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Wow! Great photos of precious little girls! And Wow! An invitation for the yard sale. That is so interesting. laurie

Beth Connolly said...

Get started on your next edition of bloggers' homes-we want more! ;)

LindsB said...

I've been dying for a new camera- one thats a little better than just a reg. point and shoot. I LOVE the pictures you took, they are beautiful. I'm off to go check out new cameras now, you got me inspired!

sf_daily_photo said...

The pics are great the kids are sooooooooooooooooo cute. Love your blog sweetie pie!!
Garden Lust Journal

LindsB said...

I must have missed it- but what kind of camera do you have?? I'm making a list of everyones and then picking the best one for me- thanks a million!

PS- just added you to my blogroll, im obsessed now, in the total non-stalker kind of way of course :)

alison giese Interiors said...

LindsB:

Thanks for stalking! ;)

My camera is a Nikon D40. I bought it about a year and a half ago, and love it. It is considered an "entry-level" SLR, which is just what I need/want. The only limitation I've run into that a pricier model wouldn't is a lack of auto-focus ability with some lenses. For example, with my 50 mm "portrait" lens, there's no auto-focus ability, so I have to keep my legs and hands moving to get a clear shot - sometimes frustrating when trying to catch a toddler, but not that big of a deal.
I'm nowhere near a pro, but I'm happy to share any other deets if you'd like, just email me: atexski(at)yahoo(dot)com

FEDERICA said...

The kids are adorable! Sooooo cute!
Wow for the garage sales!!

Purple Flowers said...

I like your blog. I'm saving up for a new digital camera. Having started shopping for it yet. My blog pictures are okay, but not anywhere close to the quality I see elsewhere: yours for instance. I think they enhance a pic. so much.
Stop by sometime.
www.leohaven.blogspot.com

FEDERICA said...

Go check my blog, I have awarded you the "Lovely Blog Award"!

http://sweet-as-a-candy.blogspot.com/

Sarah Ring said...

What sweet pictures! Gotta love a good garage sale!!