Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Little Paint Swatch That Could*

Recall that I've decided to paint our ugly, old Ikea media cabinet, and I want to go Hague Blue. I tend to become very one-track-minded when it comes to these sorts of things. NOT a great disposition to have when you live overseas, and the product you desire is only available in The USA and Canada.
I think by the time it's all said and done, this project might qualify as an Act of God, because that's practically what measures are going into finding the closest match to "Hague." You see, this deep blue has many faces....

In a flat or satin finish, she appears fairly straightforward - marine-like blue with maybe a hint of gray.

Source: google.com via Alison on Pinterest




...but, gloss her up, and she takes on mutations of teal.

Source: google.com via Alison on Pinterest



Nimble little minx, isn't she?

I won't go into the finer details of the attempts I've already made to find a close match, but let's just say they do things a wee bit differently in the paint world of Brazil, and it hasn't been successful.
So, I did what all desperate bloggers do - made a plea to Stateside blogstress amigas, Kathy and Jenny - who both have first-hand knowledge of The Hague.
According to Jenny, Benjamin Moore makes two dead-ringers for The Hague:
Hague Blue mission
So, armed with swatches of all three, as well as another from a Sherwin Williams colormatch, I will march down to my local paint store, and demand my right to some Haaaggguuueeee!

Oh, and I'm pretty sure an 'interpretation' of this painting needs to go above aforementioned media cabinet.

Source: jaclynpaige.tumblr.com via Alison on Pinterest

Bottom Line: If I can design to my tastes in Brazil, I can design ANYWHERE!

*Post title coined by
Kathy

13 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

i love the color choices! we used blue danube in the bathroom at our old house. you can see it here (pardon the poor lighting but there was no window or even windows in the hallway)
http://primitiveandproper.blogspot.com/2011/03/introducing-blue-danube-and-poww-faves.html
i can't wait to see what you do- love those moody blues!

Heartfire At Home said...

I have to admit I had an audible intake of breath over that first picture.... superb! It sounds like you have it all under control (fingers crossed). Great artwork too!

Linda. :)

Allison Egan said...

I love Hague blue! good luck and I cant wait to see how it turns out! (ps I am living in Singapore so I understand how hard it can be to get design things!)

xo Allison
Spicer + Bank
www.spicerandbank.blogspot.com

My Interior Life said...

So glad I could help. I giggled when I read your post title! Both fingers crossed your swatches will get you your desired Hague!! :)

Unknown said...

In the glossy finish it's so Lavish! Swooning now!

Unknown said...

yes, that glossy teal color is so beautiful. I can never bore of water hues. mixed with that art inspiration of toned down coral, yellow, beige, grey... such an enlivening combination.

The Buzz Blog @ Diane James Home said...

That hallway is beautiful - I love the dark color in a small space accented by white. My sister went BA-na-nas when I showed her the color matches as she has been trying to find the perfect color for her front door on a 1920's farmhouse. Thanks for the inspiration - can't wait to see your piece resplendent in a new cloak of blue! Cheers, Cynthia

LindsB said...

totall a little minx for sure! Oh and that painting with that color, umm to.die.for. Those sassy Brazillians better get you that color ASAP because I want to see some of it in your house asap :)

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Oooooh. I have the same swatch up on a wall I want to paint....maybe I should consider high gloss...hmmmmm.

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

Love it... can't wait to see it. Your pinterest photo is fab.

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Oh, the things we do for design. That color looks amazing! HOpe it all pans out for you!

Kim said...

You can totally do it ... a designer on a mission cannot be tamed!! The blue is fabulous! I just did a version of this in my powder room. It is gorgeous! I painted the ceiling the exact same color, but it has a totally different look that is fantastic. A fresh color and coat of paint can sure shake my world!

helen tilston said...

I just found your blog and I am enjoying reading it.
Would you consider travelling to NYC or CHicago to a F&B Showroom and purchasing he Hague Blue? or do you know a pilot or flight attendant who frequently travels who could perhaps buy it for you. It seems you are set on the Hague Blue and any deviation might bother you greatly, or can you live with a variation?
My best
Helen