Monday, March 21, 2011

Recap: Weekend in Rio

So, I had a little getaway to Rio this weekend. I won't lie - it was awesome. Weather was awesome, being a kid-free adult was awesome, doing whatever we wanted was awesome. Ben travels a lot for work, and doing the single-parent thing while he's gone is rough. It helps to make up for it, though, when we get the rare opportunity to recharge on our own. The Recap...

When I arrived (Ben was already there), I was amazed at the view from our room - Copacabana Beach.
DSC_1523
Ha! That would've been more than rad - that was the view from the restaurant.

THIS was the view from our room - not shabby - see the full moon rising?
DSC_1522

We toasted our weekend with a starter of pineapple and berry caiprioskas (caiprinhas made with vodka)
IMG_0811

IMG_0818

...and proceeded to get just toasty enough to brave a (dark and fuzzy) pic of the zealous couple next to us at dinner
IMG_0834

Saturday morning, we walked all along the famed Ipanema beach and its charming neighborhood. I think we walked for more than two hours, so I justified the whale's worth of sushi I ingested for lunch.
IMG_0835

Later, we took a tour of Pão de Açúcar (The Sugar Loaf) mountain via one of these...
IMG_0856

The views of the city and beaches are great...
IMG_0846

(Someone knows how to live well - I need them as friends)

IMG_0853

...but I'm much happier on terra firma, with a mid-afternoon espresso
IMG_0860

Saturday night: Date Night. (We'll forgive Ben his shoes...this time)
IMG_0869

Dinner overlooking the city. I think he was trying to seduce me ;)
IMG_0872

...by ordering drinks
IMG_0878

The food was as good as the view - dessert, phenomenal. I'll be working off the food from this weekend for the next two weeks. *sigh*
IMG_0893

Sunday morning was all about the Ipanema Hippie Fair - an art, artisan, and craft show. It's always a must-do when I visit Rio. I considered this cowhide, but it wasn't quite right...
IMG_0894

Totally bummed I forgot to go back and buy one of these leather cuffs
IMG_0895

The folk art scene is always interesting and lively
IMG_0896

We've eyed these chairs the last couple of times we've seen them. They have a large selection of leather or hide "inserts," and they're amazingly comfortable.
IMG_0897

IMG_0898

We couldn't decide on a pattern, or where we'd put the chair, so we passed. All in all, it was a very uneventful shopping trip. We didn't even bring home a small painting, but that's fine by me, since I finally snagged this Michelle Armas this morning.

graphite by Michelle Armas
Relish "Graphite," but don't covet - she's spoken for.

And, your weekend was????

14 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow don't think anyone can top that weekend, hunky guy, fabulous beach and great drinks, nope can't be out done girl! Love your blog, forget to comment most of the time, but love it all!

Averill said...

Your weekend looks fantastic! So jealous you had some kid-free time. Two and a half weeks in and I'm already craving some -- is that evil of me?!

Michelle said...

Ah, you guys are so cute! (love your orange jersey dress, soo pretty). Graphite is going to look awesome in your place. Can't wait to see pictures!

Appletree said...

gah, rainy and sick kids. I'll trade you!

R. J. and Heather said...

You are so beautiful and I'm glad you and the hubby got some quality time together.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

wow Alison, so glad you had a great time! Looks AMAZING!

Raina Cox said...

I can't tell you how much you look like Jenny MFAMB in your second photo.

YAY for date weekend!

Richmond Thrifter said...

Just saw cuffs like that at target today! Maybe you could go get one and pretend it was from your vacation ;) Newest follower!

jenn from midlife modern said...

You're going to think this is so weird, but I actually found myself wishing you would post some pictures of Brazil earlier today. Why I was thinking that I have no idea, but I'm probably wishing for some vicarious sunshine and tropical relaxation. It was so fun to see pictures of you and your husband--what a good looking pair!

Oh yeah, I did laundry and organized my closet this weekend. You win.

Unknown said...

Looks like such a great trip! Lucky you:)

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

OMG... I'm so jealous of your weekend. (It's STILL SNOWING HERE.) You two are just too cute... and hilarious pic of the pda at the table next to you, btw.

LindsB said...

what a fun trip- that dress you are wearing for date night is HOT, love that outfit!

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

I want your orange dress and shoes. Very purty.

Maureen Stevens said...

what a fun & colorful weekend getaway! you look absolutely gorgeous in that orange dress!