Monday, January 10, 2011

Making my case

We made it back home to Brazil on Friday, and it's taken me all weekend just to reorient to my change of latitude. Our trip home to Texas was great, but so jam-packed with festivities and obligations that the three weeks flew by. Regretfully, I wasn't able to knock out any major design projects with my sister in her new house. Bummer.
We did manage a little room rearranging. Remember how I told you she and her hubster have a long and narrow family room that's proving difficult to configure? I cringe at releasing in-progress photos, but thought you might like an update...
DSC_1099

New purchases are the rug (homedecorators), Wassily-esque chairs (overstock), and acrylic coffee table (ebay). The ikea chair to the left is there merely for spacing - we'll probably use something a tad taller, less deep-seated.

She originally had a large sofa where the accent chairs now sit. It visually decapitated the room. Now, it seems to breath. Ahhh...better.
DSC_1098

This family room opens to the kitchen and dining room - which, for some reason, I'm really chomping at the bit to complete. Before I left, we were discussing the inevitable transformation of the space to an actual dining room, and I commented on curtain selection.
DSC_1096

Some might not believe curtains are necessary when there's already perfectly-good shutters in place. I beg to differ. It's not so much that curtains are necessary, but without them, I think this room would always look a bit unfinished. Curtains take it to the next level. And, after all, it really IS all about layering to get a truly polished and complete look.

Curtains in a dining room can really make the room SING. See what I mean?
chris kraig via ed
If I had yellow velvet curtains like these, I just might sleep with them.

ashley whittaker via hb
Granted, the wallpaper is the star of this show, but can you imagine the room without the curtains? Nope. It would be incomplete.

jonathan adler via hb
Adler working his punchy magic in this I-don't-take-myself-too-seriously dining room. Curtains of turq-WAZ finish it off.

carol curtis via hb
Traditional spaces really lend themselves to the touch of formality that curtains lend.
I rest my case.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

It's looking great and I totally agree about the curtains- we have those shudders too but without curtains, they just look kind of utalitarian. Can't wait to see it all finished! xo

SusieR said...

It's funny... I had precisely the opposite problem. I have a living room the actually looks better without curtains. I fought this concept for years, trying set after set until finally embracing my room's curtain less-ness. All's well now, but what a self-induced struggle!

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

I agree with you - curtains take it to the next level. And thanks for including the sources - always great to know!

Karen said...

What a cheerful room. House Beautiful just did a piece on redesigning a long room and broke room into two areas, one for seating and one for dining. I could see this room divided into one area for watching television and maybe a second area for reading or with a small table and a couple of chairs for playing a game or relaxing with a glass of wine.

Camila @ effortless style said...

The room is looking so good. I've had my eyes on those overstock chairs for some time now. Fun seeing them in use!

Welcome back to Brazil!

Sorry I've been MIA. Things have been crazy here since Nov. Finally get my act together and balancing everything a bit better so now I have time to comment.

xo,

C

Noelle at Gray Paint Decor said...

I like the progress photos! I agree about the curtains. Also, totally loving the mix of things in the Elle Decor dining room.

wishful nals said...

just found your blog and i LOVE it. you are adorable and so is your home. can't wait to add you to my reader. :)

La Maison Fou said...

Lovely....and I really like the acrylic coffee table!
Nice.
Job well done (ongoing).
L.

ALR said...

Looks great! I totally believe a drape in a cool fabric can change the feel of the whole space.

Amy R.

JMW said...

Your home is beautiful! I know what it's like to work with a narrow space. You feel like you're always struggling to get the look just right. Although, it appears it's working just fine for you!

Michelle said...

It is looking great!

Bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

We just finally got curtains for our dining room, and I gotta tell you, they really tie the room together!

LiveLikeYou said...

Love the yellow rug!! Looks great!

southernsahm said...

Love, love your blog! It's one of my very favorites! In fact, I'm sad when your in the states (happy for you!) because I have to wait for blogs :-) Just wondering if you and your sister are pleased with the rug. I love the design and have been considering ordering. Love your sense of style ... traditional with a big mix of fun? - Allison

Angela said...

I love the room and the rug!