Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Lessons in Lampery

As a self-admitted Lamp Tramp, I tend to pick up interesting or "with potential" lamps that need updated lampshades. However, If you've ever found that perfect, vintage lamp, you also know it can be disheartening to properly fit it with a new shade. Lamps dating back to the 1950s and 60s tend to have very large shades - sizes which nearly require a custom order to duplicate. Of course, you can save some greenbacks by recovering an existing shade. A year or so back, my sister and I recovered the tall, drum shade that came with her antique store-find.



















If you're down with such a DIY project -
here's a good tutorial

thanks, Liz
If lamps are sans shades, though, it's up to you to turn that special snag into a showstopper. My recent purchase of a set of brass lamps is taking me to the proverbial drawing board in terms of finding the right, new shade.

I'm not sure what shape or color of shade I'll decide on, but I'll definitely be taking into account a few standard guidelines on getting size and scale of a lampshade correct.
In General:
  • Lampshade height should be about 3/4 the height of the base.
  • The bottom of the shade should be wider than the widest part of the base.
  • Shade width should approximately equal the height from bottom of base to socket

  • So, armed with my measurements, here's a few options I came up with for my brass lamps


    All shades via Shades of Light
    lampshade tips via here

    9 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Ah I love a good brass lamp- for my redo, I went with a black drum that has gold and black speckles inside- quite enjoy them actually. For yours, please go with the lizard drums...they're too gorgeous for words! Can't wait to see them finished and PS, love the 'Lamp Tramp' phrase- too funny. What can you come up with for my chair hoarding problem;)

    Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

    Im so bad with lamps, great post,thanks!

    Stephanie Sabbe said...

    finding good/affordable drum shades is seriously the hardest task ever. I have wasted many o'hours looking.

    Elisa @ What the Vita said...

    Now I feel a little concerned - I have two huge lamps that I need to find lamp shades for but I haven't been in a hurry because the room isn't ready yet... now I am scared!

    Either the drums would work beautifully. The lizard one is glamorous, though!

    Shell in your Pocket said...

    Lamps can make a room {better}
    sandy toe

    Braxton and Yancey said...

    oh my - this post was especially helpful as I too am a "lamp tramp" (too funny btw!). Luv luv luv your blog - enjoy it every day.

    MFAMB said...

    i always have shade issues. if you can, i recommend buying one of each. and then you'll know which one works best. buy the cheapest versions of your shapes to always have on hand. that way you will know before you spend money on something more expensive.

    Loretta Fontaine (EcoHappy Blog) said...

    Love the black oval drum!

    Beautiful, gleaming lamps. Can't wait to see what you will end up doing with them!

    Loretta

    over stock lighting said...

    Plenty of designs to choose from. From shapes, colors, all are awesome. Thanks for sharing.