Thursday, January 13, 2011

He Said, She Said does the Latest Lonny

When I did my first run-through of the latest issue of design e-zine, Lonny, I was almost breathless. Each page seemed to be better than the one before.
However, not wanting to be the Happy Clapper* type who can't offer a fair critique, I thought it best to call in my better half, to provide the year's first He Said, She Said: The Latest Lonny.

Me: Ben, you're first on deck (pass a piece of chocolate, too)

home by hillary thomas via lonny
Ben: The only thing I don't understand is the purpose of that thing over the window on the left. It looks like Captain Crunch's hat.
Me: It's a pelmet. Remember, we made one for Avery's room?
Ben: And the couch, it's strange. Three people sitting on that couch would mean all of their knees touching. I think anyone walking into this room sees that couch and says, "I'm not sitting there, I'm heading for the wishbone chair."
Me: Well, I really love this room, including the strangely-angled sofa. I'm honestly having a hard time getting past those glorious curtains, though. I'm having a curtain obsession these days.

lynn nigro kitchen via lonny
Me: Superb. And I don't normally favor dark-cabinet kitchens this much, but that touch of Quadrille wallpaper is a stroke of genius.
Ben: I'm not sure I would've gone with such a stark white backsplash behind the stove - seems to beg for splatters. I think at first, those dark cabinets would seem cool, but after awhile, they'd drive you freakin' nuts.
Me: They'd drive ME nuts, or just whoever?
Ben: Whoever had to cook in that kitchen every day.

lynn nigro bookshelves via lonny

Me:
It's bookshelves, I know. I just think this is a great example of perfectly non-perfect bookshelves. Not as overly-styled as you typically see in design publications.

Ben: What? This is VERY styled. Just because it's messy doesn't mean it's not styled.
Me: I don't see it as messy at all, but I give you that it probably DID take more effort than you'd assume to look this "unstyled."
Ben: Now I know what we can do with our spare chairs - face them AWAY from the tv - that makes sense.
Me: :(

living room by jariath mellett via lonny
Ben: I think it's cool. Everything but the bed.
Me: Daybed.
Ben: Still. At my age, just seeing a bed makes me sleepy. I'd probably fall asleep, and that would be quite the conversation killer.
Me: Yes, it would, but I wouldn't let you do that. You know, I'm not sure WHY I like this room, or really if I have that much emotion about it at all. I know it's photographed well, and that's probably the main draw for me.
Ben: Where's the tv?
Me: OK, moving on...

bedroom by trip haenrisch via lonny
Ben: The bed appears very comfortable, but everything seems really crammed into the center.
Me: This is actually one of the few rooms in this issue I could seriously not handle living in. The "center aligned" effect is obviously done on purpose, but I can leave it. Well, I'd take the Massimo Vitali photos and bail.

*Term "Happy Clapper" coined by the brilliant and should-be famous, Raina.

26 comments:

Geb said...

I love this series of yours. Can you believe I haven't even checked out the new Lonny yet? I need to get on that!

Unknown said...

You guys are too funny!

wishful nals said...

ha! this is awesome. ;)

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Ha! You guys make me laugh out loud. Then everyone thinks I'm a little loopy.

s'ok.

Unknown said...

This is seriously my favourite single series EVER! I literally laughed through the whole thing. Your banter is brillian and PS, the male psychi never ceases to amuse me- they're all the same:)

Stephanie said...

I love the running commentary. What was that book? "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus".

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

HAHA!
This is so great, no couples therapy for you two!
After all, the couple that design-critiques together probably sleeps together ;)
I also love the more realistic take most men have on design. It really brings things into perspective, as styling can make us think we love a space that probably wouldn't be as great in person.
Cheers, Alcira

nerochronicles.com

Unknown said...

This is genius! I love it. :)

bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

Ok so I know i have told you this before, but these are seriously my favorite features. I really want to do this with Pete- not copy you and post it on the blog, but just to hear what he would say...But I have a feeling he might not be as patient as your sweet husband!

Anna Applegate said...

This is hilarious; totally reminds me of things my husband says about design. Thanks for sharing this! By the way, I'm a new follower and just love your blog!

Raina Cox said...

ACK! This series is THE BEST. If I asked my (mechanical engineer) husband to pour over Lonny with me, he would look at me like a had a horn growing out of my head.

P.S. Thanks for the shout-out, Babe!

*clap, clap*

AppleTree said...

I love this series! More please! And I do want to copy you too! But I won't.

Michelle said...

I love this! Too cute. I don't even want to know what my husband would say!

Lindsey E. said...

Love, love, love the He said, she said! Genius! I think I love it because I know the two of you, which makes it all the more funny! I love Ben's honesty, but his true appreciation for design. I would KILL to have that first living room. Something about it is so warm and cozy and precious.

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

This is too funny! I am impressed that your hubby engages in decor talk! Awesome series.

Anonymous said...

Ha! That was hysterical. What a great idea for a blog post!

Betsy

Dumbwit Tellher said...

You are brilliant;talk about entertaining! Men just think so practical don't they?

Have a wonderful weekend! x

Tiffany from HOLIDAY said...

Ha ha - I love Ben! Captain Crunch's hat. These are my absolute favorite posts! Maybe Ben should have his own spin-off blog?

mapleleavessycamoretrees said...

Love it! You can't help but smile when reading these posts:)

The Redhead and her Pooch Lola said...

Best post I have read today! This is hilarious and I absolutely love how your husband looks at every possible practical aspect of the room! Adorable!

Marie Söderberg said...

haha ! So Fun :) this post i just SO GREAT to read :)) you are so funny, have a great weekend

Marie Söderberg said...

...and of course im your lates follower..

MFAMB said...

i so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so love when you do this.

ben and mike are very like minded.

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

loved reading this post Alison, so much fun! You know I still havent had a chance to read the new issue, im working on a tiny laptop and I cant enjoy it really so Im just waiting to get my laptop back. SO anyway loved seeing your faves and thoughts, both of them!

P.S. I love this... said...

"Captain Crunch hat.." Priceless. *wipes tears from eyes*

Style-Edition said...

HAHA reading this made me really happy. Ben needs to meet my boyfriend. Thanks for sharing!