Thursday, September 2, 2010

He Said, She Said: Orange*

Every once in awhile, I'll get the Hubster to sit down with me to give his take on a particular design trend, room, or DIY project. Often, it makes for interesting fodder, and offers a great glimpse into the yin and yang of our relationship. Out of such moments arose, He Said, She Said posts. Since it's now September, and we can allow our brains to drift into the beginnings of all things Fall, let's get the female vs. male take on decorating with orange.

Ben: Don't like it. Too many pointy things. Doesn't look comfortable.
Me: Why? There's lots of pillows.
Ben: Yeah, and even THOSE look pointy. There's nothing soft - the mirrors look like Tammy Faye Baker's eyes. I would definitely not feel like drinking a beer in that room.
Me: {Rolling Eyes} Good. I don't think I'd want you drinking a beer in my sleek room, but yes, it's a little too perfect, doesn't exactly look lived in. OK, moving on...
Me: Swinging Platform beds - how rockin' fun is that? Ben: It's busy. I like the chest with the palm leaves.
Me: It's a beach house.
Ben: Only thing you can do in those beds is sleep.
Me: {sigh} Someone's trying to be quite the jokester...

Me: OK, what about a pumpkin-colored clawfoot?
Ben: I like it - looks cozy. I like the chair.
Me: Me too, I like the idea of having furniture in a bathroom. OK, so we agree. Simple, but nice.
Me: Let's go the other direction - all out, full-frontal floor-to-ceiling orange subways.
Ben: Reminds me of Sesame Street.Me: Why?
Ben: Something about the orange "brick" reminds me of all the brownstones on Sesame Street.
Me: Got it.

Me: I love this bedroom. I love the how it is bold and tailored at the same time. Perfect amount of texture in the leopard-print footstool and bamboo shades, but think the crisp white bedding and flood of natural light makes this room doable. What say you?
Ben: Yeah, looks very comfortable. I think they need a painting or something above the bed.
Me: I think it's meant to look seamless.
Ben: But it's not - the headboard and paint don't match exactly. I also think the books look too staged.
Me: OK, another orange, but very different bedroom.
Ben: I LOVE this bedroom - it looks real, lived in. I like how they combined the stripes in the duvet with the floral pattern on the walls. Could that be a fireplace way, way to the left? If so, then this room is very, very cool.
Me: Agreed.
Me: This is a living room designed by Miles Redd - it is ALL OVER the design blogosphere because of the high-gloss peacock blue paint with the interesting mix of orange and patterns.
Ben: This is a man's room? I like the colors, not necessarily the blue walls. I wouldn't want this is my house, but for someone else, it's great.
Me: I'm with you. I like it, but 'tis not for me.

Me: Now THIS room could be for me!
Ben: You like this? That is NOT good.
Me: Well, I can't see living with children and having this room, but I could see ME in this room.Ben: I don't think it's functional. I don't see people sitting on a bed in a living room.
Me: True. Good point.
Ben: N.O. I like a splash of orange here or there, but this is ridiculous.
Me: Yeah, bit much for me, too. It just strikes me as an expensive kitchen that will quickly be torn out by the next homeowner.
Ben: Yeah, definitely.
Me: Love this bedroom. Killer chinoiserie wallpaper.
Ben: Yes, I like the pattern, just don't know if I could relax in a bedroom this full of orange.
Me: How about more of a melon-y, peachy dining room. Traditional molding, and chairs mixed with modern table, light and art.
Ben: It's a good mix. Great place to drink your OJ in the morning - to feel awake.
Me: I like the fabric on the chairs a lot, too.
Me: This is one of my favorite "saved" bedrooms.
Ben: Perfect amount of orange.
Me: The combo with the barely-aqua walls does it for me.
Ben: Mmm-Hmm, conveys a tropical feel without being overly "beachy"

So, we agree a little orange can go a long way. I have to sa
y, I love having some at Casa Giese!!
Photo credits: unknown, coastal living, country living, interiorbit, jennifer flanders Design, spark!, HB, Eileen Kathryn Boyd Interiors, Flickr, Sara Story via StyleRedux, MaterialGirls, John Willey via HB

**Originally posted October 2009

22 comments:

Screaming Meme said...

I love this post...so fun! Nice to see you two conversing on design styles...Hugs, Meme

life, in small chunks said...

I love that last bedroom, too. Very livable, comfortable, homey. but I REALLY love your chairs! Karin

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I am crazy about orange all of a sudden and bringing some in with a few pillows is just perfect for me. I really enjoyed this post. Great pics. Hugs, Marty

anita said...

great post!!
i think we should all do a post like this.
maybe i'll get hubby on board for something similar.

Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

Great post. I love orange too.

JMW said...

I was surprised at how much I liked the orange tile in the one photo - very cool! Love, LOVE the Miles Redd-designed room. The deep blues with pops of orange are divine.

Abbie said...

I love this type of post! It sounds just like me and my husband.

Blondie's Journal said...

I didn't think I liked orange as much as I do in some of these images...when it is used sparingly. I'm with Ben on the Sesame Street subway tiles. I couldn't put my finger on it until his reply!! lol!

xoxo
Jane

Lindsey E. said...

I love this post...thought I was crazy at first knowing I had read it before. Good news, I HAD! I love he says/she says. Glad it's coming back!

La Maison Fou said...

Love that orange subway tile, wish I were brave enough to do that!
I just saw a great orange rung when I was out and about!
L.

Anonymous said...

Everyone needs a touch of orange in their home. Also, I think some orange shoes....more unexpected than red. Great blog!

Kirsten said...

I love the last bedroom. You posted it before and I fell in love then. Very fun post. I can see the convo happening :).

Mary @ RoomPolish said...

Love it! So fun that you both can talk (and laugh!) about design so easily! Love his responses and yours!

MFAMB said...

love when you do this.
and i love the idea of a big ole day bed in the living room...

tia zoldan said...

Hilarious! i am married to a Ben too so i thought this was so funny!xo

Star Talks said...

hi there! we are fellow "it listers" today! i love this post... great pics and tons of personality. :)

Bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

Ok, I am dying laughing. This is HILLARIOUS, what a cute husband you have. And patient! I dont think Pete would sit with me and do that...amazing.

coolkids said...

great post! New follower.:)

Pemberley said...

Love all the orange. Great pix.

Fran said...

Too funny....I love getting a man's opinion....it always makes me want to say, "What????"

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

That pumpkin clawfooted tub is a vision!

LindsB said...

love these convos with your husband, its always funny to read a guys perspective of a room.

Still in love with your orange chairs too- perfect amount of orange for sure!