Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bribery and What Not

Ben has been traveling a lot, lately. A lot. I sort of go to shreds when I have to do the single-parenting thing for weeks at a time, hence the paucity of blog posts. My creativity and stamina go out the door in lieu of survival skills.
The other night, the Hubster made a peace offering of sorts, to make up for his recent (and upcoming) absence...Do any of you choose home decor projects when your mate offers you a (within reason) gift of choice?

Yeah, I knew it - I'm a weirdo. But, I also know this idea would go over better than the big, blingy watch I've been eyeing...

We inherited this single, accent chair from Ben's grandparents. The fabric is actually pretty great: Brunschwig & Fils' Les Fougeres, but it's a bit discolored, and has also taken a beating from the Ghost of Crayons that wanders the halls of Casa Giese. ( Nevermind the heinous pirate chest that came as the chair's sidekick. I'm working on making that bee-YOOTY disappear. ;)
Since the chair is a singleton, I'm thinking of using it in our bedroom, next to this blue chest of drawers.
DSC_0305
Undoubtedly, the chair would end up serving as a clothes valet for Ben, so I hate to pick too precious a fabric, although I can step a bit outside my usual price range, since it will take so little yardage to recover.

Iman's new Home line of fabrics for Calico Corners is getting a lot of press, and this Punjab Peacock IS rather appealing.
But, I also have more than a slight obsession with these metallic linens I was recently alerted to via MFAMB.
We use a white matelassé bed coverlet, so there's not much in terms of pattern to compete with. Your vote is? Cool pattern, or amped-up solid?

10 comments:

Chedva @Rooms and Words said...

I love both choices but I'm in love with the original fabric, so I would have tried to get my hand on a similar fabric... But I think I'd go with somthing more like the peacock, I like the metallic linen for bigger pieces of furniture (like a bench or an ottoman).
And no, you're not the only one who choses home decor gifts! We all have the same condition:)

My Notting Hill said...

I love the peacock!!

Maybe the old fabric can be converted into pillows for someplace else - even if there's just enough to do it/combined w/a solid.

Elisa @ What the Vita said...

Peacock would be so cool and would look great next to that blue drawer and your white duvet.

But that metallic linen is pretty banging too. I can picture that on a louis chair..

Blondie's Journal said...

The metallic linen is really elegant...perfect for the boudoir!

xoxo
Jane

Rachael said...

amped up solid!! Love those metallic linens!!

let us know what you go for!

www.rachaeldiab.blogspot.com

CRICKET said...

I too would go with the peacock. I love the blue on the chest of drawers - did you paint it? If so, could you share the color?

Ampersand Design said...

I like the metallic linen. I think a print will stand out too much in what you have described as a room that is devoid of pattern.

The metallic linens are gorgeous.

Sandy K

MFAMB said...

i am not a fan of the peacock fabric...but i AM a fan of those metallics!!!!
but i also LOVE the original!!!
can't you keep it? maybe have it professionally cleaned?

m e g a n a l i n a said...

Maxwell Fabrics carries a line of metallic cotton/linen blends, it is called "Metallica." I am looking at them on the Maxwell website but I know they have more colors than what they show. Hope that helps!

LindsB said...

hmmm, hard chice. I might go with fun pattern- maybe something that goes with those beautiful Brazilian colors all around you :)