Thursday, July 5, 2012

Are you back, yet? ORC Week Two

Hello? Hellooooo out thaaayeeerrr?!!!
Well. At least I don't feel too guilty being tardy on getting this post up, since no one - not even my mom are reading this week, certainly not on the 4th of July.
For those of you around, though...I'm up against week 2 of the One Room Challenge - where I'm joining 19 other bloggers as we try to get a grip on one room in our house, and have it photo-ready in six weeks.
I'm already running behind.  Duh. I feel like I have a good excuse, though: being overseas, having moved a mere five weeks ago to a new city.  Resourcing is a bit, shall we say, challenging.

Be that as it may, I'm doing my best to get a bit done while my kids run banshee around our apartment.  August 1 can't come soon enough, right? ;)

Here's where I'm at right now:  late-night design board.  Impressive, right?

I'm hemming on a few things, and need your thoughts:
  • My walls are cream.  Don't have anything against cream per se, but it's not part of my vision, either.  I was thinking of painting them a soft pink, or maybe even grayish-violet.  However, any walls I paint, I must return to original color (G-provided housing).  And we might move in a year.  Hmmmph.  
  • My desk is brown.  See a pattern here?  I originally thought I'd get a new desk, but that's looking less and less likely.  I'm way over all the How Now Brown Cow of this room, and need some injection of life.  Should I paint the desk, instead?
TOTES TELL ME WHAT TO DO!
...and I will listen.
....and, hopefully be back next week with something akin to progress.

In the meantime, do check out the other lovely ladies of the Challenge to see if they've gotten on a roll.
Chinoiserie Chic              Nana Moon
The Cottage Mix              Nicole Scott Designs
Design Indulgence            Pawleys Island Posh
Everything LEB               The Pink Pagoda
Hodge-Podge                  Powell Brower Home
Living Savvy                   Sadie + Stella
Mix and Chic                  Trapped in North Jersey

9 comments:

Meghan said...

I'm usually the first to say paint the walls, but in this case I think a light lavender (more grey than pink tone) would be so pretty on your desk! I have a similar desk that was almost the exact color of your paint swatch which I recently stripped to paint dark grey for my new home....already miss the purple! :)

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Paint. The walls and the desk. Cheap and easy to redo. It may only a be a year but you only live once so enjoy your space as much as possible especially if that is where you get your creative swerve on.

ps - you don't need no stinkin help. That board looks good.

Sadie + Stella said...

Thank god you are back! I have missed you so! Totally loving what you are working with here. You are going to rock this room.

Kim said...

Love the design board and DEFINITELY paint the desk!!! I love a skirted side table, you will love how pretty it is and will forget all the junk jumbled below!!! You are doing great and fun having you in the challenge!

Nicole Scott said...

Of course you should paint the desk. Just promise you will prime it. I recommend you spray prime and spray paint it. It's the best DIY finish other than more elaborate paint/wax combos. Ive done it both ways and I say spray finish is much more durable, no brush marks, faster, easier...as long as you can take it outside to do it. Love your board - esp the rug! looks like a good one!!

Unknown said...

I'm loving your choices Alison. I say paint the desk a fabulous color and leave the walls cream - your eye will go to that sweet vibrant desk! So looking forward to seeing more progress.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

I am loving all of this, too. I agree with the others, paint the desk. It will come together.

My Notting Hill said...

If that's your desk, I kinda like the natural, soft look of that wood. Love, love the green chaise, rug - maybe try it all is before painting either the walls or desk.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Yep...ditch the ole brown cow, and paint her up!