Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Je t'aime: La chaise café français

A design element that for years has stopped me in my tracks is the classic, French cafe chair. I don't think I've ever met one that didn't win my heart. Perhaps it's the connotation of the chair's origin - Paris. Street side cafés drinking wonderful coffee or wine. People watching.
There's a lot to be said for bringing home an item that conveys such leisurely pursuits...

Which is why, I'm forever tearing-out, and digitally saving just about any picture of a kitchen who's owners obviously share my sense of romanticism.
This Victoria Hagan kitchen would do wonders for my soul each and every morning.
There's such an interesting mix in this London loft's kitchen (ahhh...that commercial cabinet!), you almost miss the chairs.
A beachy abode with a french twist - cafe chairs and cabana-striped rug - works for me!
This eat-in kitchen represents the best for me - casual dinners with family and friends, lingering over that long table.
Drew did it right, too - open shelves full of whiteware, retro fridge, and yes, the chairs. Can you believe this is her production company's kitchen?
Katie Lee Joel's tête à tête version. Oh, and the steel-frame windows don't hurt, either.
The chairs, in red - à la Provence.
If space is limited, there's always the bar stool version
Perhaps there's just some looks meant to produce daydreams...{le sigh}

Photo credits: AT, Things That Inspire, Telegraph-UK, Material Girls, HGTV, Domino, Domino, Visual Vamp, HB, HB

12 comments:

Taylor said...

these have always, always been a head turner for me too. I love how they are used in the image with the blue and white stripe rug the best:)

Averill said...

Gorgeous rooms. I have many of them tagged in my own digital files, but I never noticed they all featured cafe chairs! I have a feeling I'll be seeing them everywhere (and wanting them) from now on.

MFAMB said...

me too!! so so good. they are so casual and pretty. interesting. not boring. lovely etc...

JMW said...

What a cool use of cafe chairs! Love the blue and white cafe chairs in the room with the striped rug - c'est magnifique!

Hat Lady said...

I´ve never thought about those chairs; nice idea.

Carolyn said...

Pretty pics. I noticed those chairs too on Things That Inspire this week. And, like everyone else, I like the cabana striped rug room the best! (and the commercial cabinetted room)

LindsB said...

I dont think I've ever really given them a second look till now- they really are beautiful! I would love to be sitting in one in Paris sipping a nice glass of wine right about now- I'd settle for Brazil though haha :)

red ticking said...

i love these chairs too. they make me happy.

paula said...

I have dreaming of these chairs since seeing them in Domino.

Mimi said...

Love these chairs too..fell in love with them when I saw Katie Lee Joel's kitchen a while back..which by the way, happens to be one of my favorites..Nice post! Oh and I love your story...about being a native Texas and moving to Brazil with your family :) Must be fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Love the red chairs in the yellow room! Magnifique!

Beth Connolly said...

I like the stool version too!