Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Jive Java Talkin'

Goodness, goodness, GOODNESS - am I one, relaxed chica! Just got back from a workout-steamroom-spa session that I wrapped up with a Coffee Scrub treatment. I'm such a noodle, now all I can do is sit here and blog about it - do you mind if I indulge a bit?

So...I'm all about exfoliation, so I made an appointment for the Coffee Scrub-Mini Moisturizing Massage here at the hotel Spa. (They also offer scrubs made from lavender buds or sea salt, but I went with coffee because I've heard the caffeine can have "stimulative and firming" properties for the skin - yeah, not gonna turn THAT down!) Anyway...they massage you all over with this coffee ground/massage oil blend - when that's done, you hop into a shower to de-scrub, and then they work this amazing lemon balm-scented mosturizer into your freshly de-scaled Bod. I was in heaven!
Now, my skin is almost as soft as Avery's, and if I close one eye, I swear my Bee-hind looks firmer! ;)

So, while I'm musing on the corporeal benefits of the coffee bean, I must tell you about this...

I recently began reading a "healthy lifestyle" (aka diet) book. As a trained Dietitian, I don't particularly think I need a book to enlighten me on this topic, but, what can I say? Sometimes curiosity over the latest diet craze gets the best of me...
Now, I won't go namin' names, I'll just say the book suggested, no demanded a tad too much elimination of foods for me to believe it's a realistic approach for most people, myself included. Coffee was one of the items on the authors' Hit List. Now, I understand there may be any number of reasons a person doesn't drink coffee, but to lambast something into seclusion without providing even a modicum of balanced information is just completely irresponsible!
In case you haven't heard - Coffee's benefits have been linked (by reputable, medical research) to:
  • Reduced risk of Type 2 Diabetes (the type most often associated with obesity and genetics)
  • Reduced chance of developing Parkinson's Disease (the one that wrecks your body with tremors)
  • Reduced risk of certain Cancers - most probably due to the powerful anti-oxidants known as polyphenols found in coffee.**
I don't know about you, but I think I'll ditch the diet nazi's, and keep my java - thank you very much! If you're not into imbibing the stuff, you could delight your senses a bit with this DIY Coffee Scrub:
Basic Coffee Scrub Recipe
  • 2 cups ground coffee (hit the Dollar Store or Big Lots for some cheapo stuff!)
  • 1/2 cup raw sugar or sea salt (tip: sugar won't burn your little razor knicks)
  • 2/3 Tablespoon Almond Oil (Can also use another light oil like Grapeseed or Jojoba)
**I would personally add a few drops of an essential oil, too.
  • Apply scrub to wet or damp skin, working in a circular motion so as to distribute the caffeine to help eliminate cellulite and varicose veins
(recipe and other yummy stuff from here)

Will be catching up on lost hugs 'n kisses from Avery tomorrow, but will have full São Paulo recap by Friday. Tchau!

**Medical stats obtained from here

8 comments:

MFAMB said...

hey alison. i agree. must have my morning coffee. now i don't drink more than one cup in the morning and i usually don't finish all of it bc it gets cold too fast. i think it is completely retarded to eliminate stuff you like. if we all just ate in moderation and treated food like fuel instead of like an idulgence we would be healthier. that said, i KNOW FOR FACT that sugar is addictive like any drug out there. physical withdrawl on elimination. so staying away from this one is probably THE most important diet change one could make. even in moderation this one is no good. but if you are one of the lucky ones who can eat just a bite of something sweet that good for you. i am not one of these people. i try to stay aways alltogether.
will try the scrub, i am also a exfoliation whore.
xoj

MFAMB said...

p.s. my grammatical errors are killing me in that last comment.
so sorry readers.

Molly said...

i'm totally going to try this scrub...sounds divine! thanks for sharing!

paula said...

although I don't drink coffee the scrub sounds lovely:)

R. J. and Heather said...

Sweet! Thanks for the DYI scrub recipe. I will partake this weekend. Enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Anonymous said...

LOVE this, LOVE it! Must make ASAP. Thank you for the hot recipe. So glad I visited your site today!

Betsy
http://affordableinteriordesign.blogspot.com/

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Oh I love getting a good spa treatment. It sounds amazing. I'm going to have to try it out.

Haven and Home said...

So jealous, I need a spa day. Love all things coffee!