Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Glass House

Have you ever noticed how the British do such a wonderful job of providing nomenclature to their structures? I sometimes wonder how it is that we've watered down or lost entirely some of their charming verbage. Wouldn't you love to say "I'm heading to The Loo," without your friends thinking you were acting hoity-toity? Or in my case, how I'd be so tickled to say I have not a sunroom or potting shed, but a Conservatory! I've always dreamed of having one...

A Conservatory is traditionally known as a structure, attached to a main building, that is primarily made of glass or other translucent material within a metal or wood frame. Because of the ability to allow sunlight, yet protect from harsh elements, Conservatories are ideal settings for indoor gardens. It is recorded that the first conservatory built in Britain was the Oxford Botanic garden in the 1800s - the popularity of the lovely structures grew from there.*

There's the Big Kahuna's - Conservatories that set the standard...

Like this one at the Biltmore EstateOr of course, the New York Botanical Garden - note to self: Make sure to visit during the annual Orchid Show!
Isn't this one grand, with it's Moroccan lamps and carpets?
pic via Nikkosan blog
Or, if you like to get your glamourpuss on - have at it at The Milestone Hotel in London
For me though, I don't need a vast expanse...Just a little nook where I could sit, read, have a cup of tea - and hopefully, reap the rewards of my own planting efforts....
Maybe something more like this...hmmm, well, maybe Victorian Gothic is still a bit grande...
A petite Georgian style - maybe with a view...
The perfect amount of natural light - we're getting close...
Clonegal Conservatory
Ahhh, this is it - Divine!
Can I just add one of these?
pic via citydirt
Oh! And maybe a zinc potting table?
Antique French boardwalk rockers {swoon!}
Any builders and horticulturists interested in donating to a good cause? MLHP lines are currently open! ;)

3 comments:

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Beautiful photos. I've always thought a conservatory would be wonderful too, so I was really drooling over this post. laurie

3RiversHistory said...

Beautiful - Of course the Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh is one of the best Victorian Glass Houses I have been to

http://www.examiner.com/x-7002-Pittsburgh-Neighborhood-History-Examiner~y2009m4d12-Easter-flower-show-at-Phipps-a-family-tradition-in-Pittsburgh-spans-a-century

Conservatory Supplier said...

I agree with Dev regarding Phipps Conservatory, this is really very beautiful as i had seen many pictures of his conservatory.