Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A concepção do Brasil

I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I feel my design tastes are changing a bit. I think that has a lot to do with what I'm seeing down here in Brazil in terms of interiors. For the most part, there seems to be two distinct calls: very sleek and modern or robust and rustic. There is wooden furniture here, typically large, that can best be envisioned in grand, large homes. There's also, however, lots of clean-lined, no-frills modern - a look I'm beginning to embrace, in moderation.

What I've been most impressed by is how deftly the Brazilians mix very traditional pieces with modern ones - I think the look is timeless, and helps feed the beast
within design junkies like me who can't commit to one look over the other - we want it ALL, but most of all, we want to be able to put it together as flawlessly as they do down here.

Here's some samplings I've scanned from a Brazilian dwelling mag:
This one's my fave: Look at the Louis XVI chairs and traditional rug paired with the Eero Saarinen Tulip Table - add in the interesting art and greenery, and I think it's just about perfect!

Here's another: Cozy and comfy seating with a clean-lined (and smudge-free ;) glass coffee table

You know I don't miss a chance to feature some Buddhas - but did you also pick up on the charming, rustic chair next to the Asian-influenced console? Very cool, indeed!

And, because we're nearing the Holiday Season, I had to post this oh-so-cute Christmas Palm. Evergreens are non-existent down here, so I think we'll do something like this at Casa Giese this year!

0 comments: